Evgeny D. Kalinin
Areas of practice:
Evgeny Kalinin provides advice on various areas of Russian law, specializing primarily in corporate / commercial law and tax law. He offers support for transactions (such as preparing investment contracts and shareholder agreements), assesses related legal and tax risks, and drafts legal opinions and memoranda on various issues. Evgeny also performs due diligence of companies and drafts contracts.
- Comprehensive support for RUSNANO projects: due diligence, drafting investment agreements, shareholder agreements, real estate and intellectual property pledge contracts, amendments to articles of associations and other corporate documents of SPVs, advising on complex corporate, tax and customs law issues.
- Took part in representation of Microsoft Corporation in its global transaction for purchase of Nokia mobile devises & services business: comprehensive legal support in purchasing and integrating Russian assets of the Finnish company into Microsoft group.
- Drafted a legal opinion for Vnesheconombank (VEB) on the legality of assignment of rights arising from a loan agreement.
- Due diligence on a major Russian holding company (comprising 34 companies) that develops and manufactures radio equipment and communications systems.
- Advice to a foreign investor regarding possible acquisition of a share in a mutual investment fund that owns agricultural land in Russia.
- Advice on conversion of a Russian joint-stock company with minority ‘sleeping’ shareholders (those who died or who do not attend general shareholder meetings) into a limited liability company.
- Advice to a Russian holding company on the taxation of a Cypriot company in connection with the sale of its 100% stake in a Russian company whose assets consist of real estate.
- Advice to a foreign company on application of double taxation treaties of the Russian Federation.
- Advice to a major western manufacturer on tax and customs benefits applicable in special economic zones (except for tourist zones), including the benefits for goods/processed products being imported/exporte
d under the free customs zone regime.
- Advice to a large company on transfer pricing risks.
- Advice to a foreign company on the tax repercussions from a real estate sale transaction between two foreign companies both having no legal presence in Russia.
- Advice to a Russian company on personal income taxes applicable to an individual investing his shareholding in a Russian company into the authorized capital of a Cypriot company which transfers such shareholding to a Cypriot trust for the benefit of the individual.
- Advice to a Russian company on tax risks associated with the liquidation of a company that is indebted to creditors who fail to claim the debt repayment.
- Advice to RUSNANO on tax and customs risks arising from the sale by a foreign shareholder of its 100% shareholding in a Russian company whose charter capital was paid by contribution of the equipment imported into Russia under the VAT and customs duties exemption entitlement.
Practice of law:
- Andrey Gorodissky & Partners
Senior Lawyer (since June 2010)
- Freelance legal consultant and cooperating with Incor Alliance Law Office
Lawyer (April 2009 – June 2010)
- White & Case
Lawyer (July 2005 – April 2009)
- Pepeliaev, Goltsblat and Partners
Intern (January 2005 – February 2005)
Education:Lomonosov Moscow State University, Law School (2005)
- Russian (native)